Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Small Screen Saturation

EMMY Awards live blogging tonight?

Since I've been out of town for over a month, I've been playing catch up on the crowded DVR. Watched a bunch of Project Runway. I'm rooting for Jerell and Korto at this point and so eager to see nasal nasty vintage-obsesse Kenley given the boot ... even if she does amusingly list 8 time Oscar costume design winner Edith Head among her favorite designers.

I also stared at wee descriptions of Saving Grace episodes but didn't hit play. Holly Hunter is super but I just don't really feel the show. I am never eager to watch. If your show stars lawyers, doctors, cops or detectives I feel like playing on the web instead. Maybe if I was 10 and hadn't already seen 30 years of those jobs dramatized. I'm no mathematician or census professional but I suspect doctors, lawyers, detectives and cops combined make up less than 10% of the jobs that people have in the world so why do they make up 88% of television occupations? Get some talented writers and actors involved and I am fully confident that they could make an exciting relevant series about a zookeeper or a corporate recruiter or a video game designer or even a dry cleaner you know? TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. I'm begging you.


I also watched a couple of the new Season 2 Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles episodes. Shirley Manson from Garbage is a new T-villain but not as angry & fun as she used to be in music videos. I'm not really sure why I watch this show. It's predictable, unoriginal, awkward. It is improving as it goes and addressing criticisms (suddenly John Connor, the eventual savior of mankind is less whiny and more decisive) which is usually a good sign for longterm health or at least the sign of a competent show runner. Still and all, it's living off the glories of two frankly incredible James Cameron movies. Those movies must have done a number on me because every time that classic familiar ominous march/drone score kicks in, my stomach tightens. I keep watching.

I'm saving Mad Men for last, following the 'go out with a bang' theory. Although Mad Men is so subtle that "bang" isn't the right word at all. I remain delightfully perplexed that so many people love it. It requires attention and thought and... well, if people are asked to do that at the movie theater they revolt and proclaim "boring" and choose something with lots of guns or Will Ferrell instead.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar